First, thank you Jamie for picking up my slack last week in getting out the group email as I was learning how to change diapers and burp babies. While there are not too many new running related items specific to the local Philadelphia scene that developed in the past week, I did want to reiterate a couple key topics from Jamie’s email last week as a simple reminder. Therefore a very much abbreviated weekly email is what follows.
- Tuesday, June 14 at 6:30pm from Lloyd Hall for a tempo session
- Wednesday, June 15 at 6:30am from the intersection of the South Street Bridge and SRT for an easy paced distance run
- Thursday, June 16 at 6:30pm from Lloyd Hall for a distance run/happy hour combo (see below for more detail) Note, this is a location change from the previously designated location of 7th and Bainbridge (i.e., do not go to 7th and Bainbridge!)
- Sunday, June 19 at 8:30am from Lloyd Hall for a long run
Connecticut Bound (Thursday group happy hour run): Andrew and Hayley’s “going away run” will now be taking off from Lloyd Hall at 6:30pm on Thursday, June 16. The Fishtown Beer Runners have a non-traditional course this week, so we are going to do our own thing. The run will be ending at the Cherry Street Tavern at the intersection of 22nd Street and Cherry. For those unable to make the run but would like to grab a drink, we should be arriving at Cherry Street by approximately 7:30pm.
USATF Club Track and Field Nationals (Saturday, June 25): Registration ends Friday, June 17 at 11:59 p.m. EST. Begin your registration here. No Day of Entries will be accepted. We are fortunate that this year’s championships will be held at our very own Franklin Field. Reach out to Jamie or Kevin if you want to learn more about competing. We could also field some relay teams, so please let us know if you would be interested in taking part in one of those as well.
- I’ve gotten both peed and vomited on in the early goings (as expected), but something happened today that makes those other occurrences seem like desired outcomes. That something was having to take scissors and cut off my son’s outfit to remove because poop exploded out of his diaper and onto his clothes. Perhaps the most skilled person at the board game “Operation” may have been successful in taking the outfit off, but for the rest of us mortals any attempt would have resulted in painting his forehead with his own poop.
- Regression to the mean is a brutal statistical correction. I’m referring to the 2016 Philadelphia Phillies. The majority of my runs during baseball season are in the morning so I can catch Phillies games in the evening. If you are like me, oversleeping and having to run in the evening may be better for your health going forward as there aren’t many things to enjoy when watching the Phillies in their current form